[SCCC] RF Noise

n6cw at san.rr.com n6cw at san.rr.com
Fri Feb 15 10:39:57 EST 2019

Wyatt,

I have fought this battle. The solution was not torroids although that helped mask the problem. The problem was the computer power supply. I am assuming this is a PC and not a laptop.

Inspecting the PS revealed that the manufacturer did not install the RF filtering components. The PS board had all the parts labeled but they were not installed. My solution was to go to the local recycle place with a screwdriver and they let me open up a stack of power supplies until I found one that had all the components and fit the PC. Think made in USA (Dell, etc). Installing the new PS eliminated all the RF noise. This option may not be available to you but if it is the PS you may not be able to eliminate the problem with ferrites.

Another issue which has been brought up is using good quality cables in and out of your computer and around your station. It takes a lot of ferrite to tame an unshielded cable.

Good luck.

Terry/N6CW