[SCCC] ARRLDX CW N5ZO SOSB/20 HP

marko.l.myllymaki at gmail.com marko.l.myllymaki at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 04:15:37 EST 2019

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: N5ZO
Operator(s): N5ZO
Station: N5ZO

Class: SOSB/20 HP
QTH: CA

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20: 1034   109
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total: 1034   109  Total Score = 319,152

There is abt 58 CQ zone 3-5 QSOs in above, ie those are 0 pointers.  I
pretty much answered to everyone who insisted and just logged the states
they sent me.
At one point I actually tried to open states multiplier window in N1MM+ to
see how close I could get on sweeping the states, but it did not keep track
of states in this contest...  Sometime Saturday afternoon I worked 10+ North
American stations in rapid succession and understood that someone must have
spotted me wrong.  Sure enough afterwards I saw usual NH7O spot around that
time.

I didn't want to do AB effort and although 40 would probably be better band
for me I didn't want to stay up night either, so decided then to operate
SB20.  I was first thinking to get to 100 countries sometime during 1st day
and then hang up.  But I just got 90 countries before ending on Saturday
night and so I then had to get back on radio on Sunday morning to complete
the mission.  I worked 100th country (ZB2) just 6 hours to go, so then I
decided to just do whole thing to the end.  It was actually good experiment
and gave me good understanding of my station's 20 m capability in DX
contest, something I had not really tried before as I mostly operate
domestic contests from home.
Things performed surprisingly well for what I got, but it is also clearly
not big gun DX contest station and I could hear some nearby bigger stations
working stuff that I had trouble hearing or getting replies to my CQs.
I had 497 Qs to CQ zones 14-16 and another 277 Qs to zone 25.  Best time was
Saturday morning 15-16 UTC back to back 100+ hours to Europe.  I had 750 Qs
when I ended on Saturday night so things were much slower on Sunday.
Thanks to cluster and skimmer robots that do all the spotting work !  This
contest would be super boring here in California without that technology in
place and we would be just sending endless unanswered CQs.  Now even smaller
station can get some traction when calling CQ.
Setup used in this contest:
2 x K-3 wired to single Alpha 87A with old Acom 2S1 box.  This provides me
nice way to operate SO2V using both radios on same band.  4 el rotating OWA
yagi (design by K6AM) at abt 90 ft with another 4 el fixed OWA yagi below
halfway down the tower aimed at 52 degrees (dictated by side of tower).  I
did not find that lower yagi too useful in this contest, it is really
planned for domestic contests.  Another main antenna is C31xr at abt 85 ft
on 2nd tower.  I could feed monobander(s) and C31xr in same time through
stackmatch, which gives me 2 direction capability.  There is also A3S on
separate rotating mast at 33 ft.
That small lower yagi keeps surprising me and there were number of instances
where it worked better than anything else, especially to Caribbean and
Northern South America.

Tnx for Qs, 73 de Marko N5ZO