[SCCC] kb9fko RU & NAQP

Drew Arnett kb9fko at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 14:07:01 EST 2019

1800 for RTTY Roundup 75Qs 24 mults (ran 10W, fun to wach the PA temp
sensor climb during an exchange)

1736 for NAQP (small contribution to SCCC team # 4) 62Qs 28 mults (ran
12 to 15W)

KX3, 20/40 inverted vee fan with apex at ~24ft on east side of 2 story
house, QTH less than ideal for local clutter and has horizon
impairment to NE.

soapbox...

Knocked some dust off of the rusty brain.  In 2017, I only operated
once -- CW during FD.  In 2018, I did slightly better operating CW and
phone during FD and the 10 GHz contest.  Once a year is not the path
to improved CW skills!

For the RU, I started setting up well after the contest started.  This
is the first time I set up a KX3 for soundcard modes.  Ran into a
glitch or two, but got past that.  Was pleased to find that FLDigi has
a halfway decent contest configuration.  I didn't operate other modes,
as I was in this a big part for RTTY nostalgia.  The simulated old
school tuning indicator in FLDigi was fun.  And was interesting to
both open up the filter and click to tune and crank the filter down
and tune to tune.

For the NAQP, I started setting up the CW contest logger ahead of
time, but finished after the contest start.  I had grabbed an earlier,
buggy release of TLF.  Grabbed the latest and it was good to go.  Nice
little contest logger, but I'm getting inclinations to write my own to
get some of the things I'm looking for that TLF or N1MM+ don't
provide.  Configured for TR versus CT mode; I think this was the first
time I really got the hang of the enter-send-mode.  Nice not reaching
for a mouse or tabbing or arrow keying endlessly.

For the RU, I could definitely hear more than I could work.  +10 dB on
TX would help as well as antenna improvements.  For the NAQP, I wasn't
quite so lopsided.  But still, I didn't have much margin for QSB
fades.  +10 dB on TX and antenna improvements would help across the
board for the home QTH.  Better operating location wouldn't hurt,
especially if I compare to the rates with QRP SOTA operating or QRP
portable stations only contest on a mountaintop with good take off
angle.

Fun stuff!

Drew
kb9fko