[SCCC] Antenna Challenge

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Thu Jan 24 12:20:01 EST 2019

This is a longshot, Mark, but I wonder if LDG is trying to match your
antenna at a harmonic of the input frequency. Do you happen to have a
standalone impedance analyzer (e.g. an MFJ-269) that you could use to
sweep the input of the LDG after it tunes up (with the IC-7600 driving
it) and indicates the 1.3:1 VSWR across 160 meters?

You mentioned putting ferrites on the lines going to the rig. What about
the line carrying the +12V power going to the LDG?

How is the connection between the tuner and the antenna (i.e. shorted
twinlead) and the ground radials configured? Do you have a short piece
of coax running to the feedpoint where the radials and the shorted
twinlead come together? Is there a current balun (i.e. RF choke) on that
coax to help keep the coax outer conductor and tuner chassis from
becoming part of the radial system?

73, Mike W4EF................