[SCCC] QRO for contests

Drew Arnett kb9fko at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 11:25:07 EST 2019

Well, OK, barefoot.  A question to ask your experience.

I've used my KX3, which I like for things other than contesting.
(SOTA, microwave IF rig, etc.)  It's fine at 10W, but if I want to
play seriously, I need to at least be 100W (in addition to operating
someplace with better horizon and antennas.  I'm thinking portable.
With improved antenna and 10 dB, I could definitely do better from
home.)

Seems hard to justify the new cost of say a TS-590SG or used K2 or
several other good options for a KXPA100.  (Have used a number of very
good Icoms and used an FT1000 once a few years back.)

I didn't see any alternative sources for an amplifier.  Let me know if
I am wrong.  Hardrock 50 kit?  $350 with QSK kit (mandatory), but only
6 dB.  Meh.

And say a used K2?  There's a bit of caution for used procurement.
And, most importantly, I've never used a K2.  Any good for contesting?
 Is the CAT OK?  K1 was dropped.  Some of the K2 options are no longer
available.

Thanks and best regards,

Drew
kb9fko