[SCCC] N6GP/R CQ WW VHF

Tim Goeppinger timgep at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 25 18:10:59 EDT 2019

                  CQ Worldwide VHF Contest - 2019

Call: N6GP/R
Operator(s): N6GP
Station: N6GP/R

Class: Rover LP
QTH: ORG

    6:  79     48
    2:  10      7
-------------------
Total:  89     55  Total Score = 5,390

56 Q's digital, 24 on SSB.  I was surprised that FT4 was not a factor this time.
Disappointing that there was no 2m FM activity this time too.  I had a conflict
Saturday night, so my home grid DM13 totals suffered.

Got my car windshield repaired just in time, and got up on Signal Hill with
plenty of time to set up.  Only 24 contacts there, as I struggled to work the
grids in the Pacific Northwest that the big guns down below were.  Grabbed some
lunch on the way to Glendale for DM04.  Only made 12 contacts there, since 6 was
closed, and the participation by locals dropped way off. I think many SCCC in NAQP
RTTy.  Even tried my 9 el 2m yagi out.

Got going by 9am Sunday morning.  Got word on the road that 6m was open to W5,
so I pulled off the 91 at the Corona / Riverside border.  Found a parking lot for
Hillcrest High School and got on the air fast.  It turned out to be a mediocre
spot, as I struggled to get the W5s,  Only 4 contacts there.  Next time I will know
about the better spot up on the hill by the water tank.

Drove up the mountain to the Rim of the World parking lot, and was happy to see
6m still open to W5 plus Pacific NW.  Got 30 mults there on 6m!  Heard some
double hop to Fla, but could not work it.  It stayed open right until the end.
After the contest was over, I heard V31 (Belize).  Disappointed that I only made
1 2m contact from there.

I wish the CQ VHF sponsors would up the point value for 2m QSOs to 4 points.
More people need to get on 2, and try out FT8 there as well.

I still didn't make it to Keller Peak, but the extra 45 minutes drive time would
have hurt my score.  The 2100z end time is rough.

Thanks for the Q's & 73,

Tim N6GP