[SCCC] CQ WW WPX CW Contest

Bob Grubic bobgrubic at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 20:14:55 EDT 2019

CQ WW WPX CW
.
Call: HP8/NC6Q
Operator(s): NC6Q
Station: HP portable
.
Class: Single Op Low Power (Unassisted)
QTH: Farallón, Panama
Operating Time: couple hours here and there
.
Summary
Band QSOs
40        18
20      122
Total   140
.
Points: 52,608
.
Club: Southern California Contest Club (Although I was DX, does this count
toward club score? Maybe not.)
.
Comments:
.
A one-week, planned visit to Panama to take of some electrical/plumbing
work AND squeeze in a little operating in the CQ WW WPX CW Contest at beach
house on the Pacific.
.
Rig: IC-7300, antenna: 20m wire ground plane 30 feet from ocean, 40m end
fed wire up 20 feet, zig-zag fashion (long story), WinKeyer USB, N1MM+
.
Lots of Europeans to work for the time I was on the air. Have never worked
Israel, or Ukraine before from anywhere! S&Ping the whole time,I learned to
adapt to the long call sign (HP8/NC6Q) by first just sending HP8, then,
when recognized, sending the whole call sign. Most hams answered with "HP8"
and let me send the complete call sign. Some accepted those 3 characters
and sent me their exchange! Of course, I had to get him to send me the call
correctly before I would send my exchange. This took a lot of time. I
started out sending about 26 wpm but with so many repeats, I slowed down to
20 to 23 wpm to make thing go more smoothly. Some good hams out there,
however, copied my entire call sign correctly at 26 wpm and higher! I real
pleasure to experience that.