[SCCC] June VHF N6GP/R

Tim Goeppinger timgep at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 17 02:21:21 EDT 2019

ARRL June VHF Contest - 2019

Call: N6GP/R
Operator(s): N6GP
Station: N6GP/R

Class: Limited Rover LP
QTH: SDG

    6:   97    23
    2:   57     6
  222:   25     3
  432:   26     5
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  205    41  Total Score = 10,496

Thanks to a great tip from Gary N6DM, I started out in San Marcos at their
Double Peak Park.  Fantastic 360 degree view gave me a great shot to the Los
Angeles Area. Stayed about an hour and 15 minutes, and enjoyed a very scenic
drive over to the I-5 for the Torrey Pines Gliderport.   They were having some
sort of parachute glider race there.  6 meters was teasing an opening there with
single decodes on from meteors.   Stayed about 1.5 hours, then headed up to
Signal Hill.  Very weak opening to W5 land on 6 and only worked 1 station.
Stayed until sundown.
Sunday revisited DM13 on the north end in Diamond Bar, and could not quite work
the VE7 opening on 6.  Stayed about 1 hour then headed for Keller Peak. Due to
errors in the Google map database, I ended up in a residential neighborhood
totally lost.  Lost a lot of time, and finally got some good directions from
some people.  I had called earlier in the week to verify that the road was open.
I was excited to get to the summit, only to find a locked gate, about 200 feet
short of the top.  Thankfully I had a dolly along, so I got some of my stuff
out, and hauled it half way up the driveway to a spot that had a good shot
north.  LA basin was blocked.  Worked 2 new grids on 6 up there (CM96 and DM16).
Managed to work L.A. people on reflections.  Stayed about 1 hour.  Got a text
about 6 meter opening to W1 land, and found the  parking lot for Childrens Forest
that has an OK shot east.  Worked as far as Maine on FT8.
Only 52 of my contacts were FT8.  Stayed on SSB for locals at the beginning, and
had a really good rate.  Didn't want to get bogged down in FT8 for locals.
My Grid Picker software saved time when I switched grids.  Unfortunately, I
failed to put the /R on my callsign in WSJT (FT8), and that is causing problems
for log submission.
73,
Tim N6GP