[SCCC] NI6W (W4EF op) Stew Perry Topband Distance Challenge

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Sun Dec 27 23:08:43 EST 2020

                  STEWPERRY Summary Sheet

        Start Date : 2020-12-26

     CallSign Used : NI6W
       Operator(s) : W4EF

Operator Category : SINGLE-OP
Assisted Category : NON-ASSISTED
              Band : ALL
             Power : HIGH
              Mode : CW

         Club/Team : Southern California Contest Club
          Software : N1MM Logger+ 1.0.8841.0

         Band     QSOs     Pts  Pt/Q
          1.8     392    2050   5.2
        Total     392    2050   5.2

             Score : 2,050

               Rig : Elecraft K-3 + Alpha 87A
          Antennas : 55ft Top-Loaded Vertical + Array Solutions SAL-30
Rx Array

           Soapbox : I sponsored a plaque this year, so I figured I
better show up and actually operate. Did this one 100% via remote
control. Seems like I've finally got all the major bugs worked out of
the remote setup (knock on wood). The SAL-30 Shared-Apex Loop-Array that
I put up at the beginning of the year really seemed to help with
receiving. It's been a long time since I had something other than the TX
antenna to use for receiving.

After I realized I was in danger of having to QRT early because of the
14 hour operating limit, I tried taking a short off-time Sunday morning
around 9:30 UTC. I set my alarm for 11:00 UTC and laid down for a nap.
My alarm woke me up, but I was in such a sleep deprived haze I shut off
the alarm and fell back asleep until ~12:30 UTC. As a result I only
caught the tail-end of the east-coast early riser "fresh meat". Signals
from the east-coast were very strong, but they faded quickly which was a
real bummer. I worked my first JA around 08:20 UTC, which made me
hopeful that we would get a good opening in that direction. If we did,
it was while I was asleep, as altogether I only worked a small handful
of JA stations. My only transatlantic QSO was a very loud CR6K who
answered my CQ. Otherwise, I didn't hear a peep out of Europe or Africa.
Nevertheless, it was good fun.

73, Mike W4EF............