[SCCC] Need Monitor Suggestions

Steve k0xp at k0xp.com
Wed Feb 12 17:15:23 EST 2020

My old Samsung T220HD monitor (about 11 or 12 years old) doesn't like
me transmitting on the low bands. Especially on 80, but also when I'm
on 160 or 40, it'll turn itself on and off with my keying. Sometimes,
it'll shut itself off and won't turn on again without playing with it
a bunch. But it doesn't generate any interference on any band, high
or low, that I've heard. I've tried wrapping it in aluminum foil,
chokes and MANY chokes on the power and video leads, etc., all to no
avail. Time to replace it, I suppose.

Any recommendations?? I've just built a new shelf unit for my new
radio, laying it out specifically to hold the Samsung which is
roughly 20-1/2"W by 17-1/2"H (with the stand), before remembering
just why I've not been using it. I've only been running barefoot;
i.e., 100 watts output; the thing shuts off and on again with just 50
watts on 80 and around 75 on 40. I'd dread to see what happens when I
finally get an amp going here...

My HOA-limited setup has a sloping wire drooping from a pine tree in
the back yard down to the middle of my window frame; thus, the
antenna is just a few feet away from the monitor. I can't possibly
relocate it, nor can I move the radio somewhere else.

TNX,
SteveH K0XP