[SCCC] FW: CQWW SSB N5ZO/MM, N6NC/MM, NT6Q

marko.n5zo at gmail.com marko.n5zo at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 20:23:51 EDT 2020

This year operated about quarter of the contest from 3 different locations
and using 3 different calls.
73 de Marko N5ZO

**************************************

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: N5ZO/MM
Operator(s): N5ZO
Station: N5ZO/MM

Class: SOAB LP
Class Overlay: Classic
QTH: At sea, CQ zone 6

  160:
   80:    1     1        1
   40:    1     1        1
   20:  465    12       11
   15:   60    13       13
   10:    2     1        1
------------------------------

This was my 30th zone to operate CQ WW DX contest from.
Captain John N6HOY and vice captain/navigator Larry N6NC and I sailed from
San Diego to zone 6 to operate contest as maritime mobile station.  On the
way there while in zone 3 another about 100 Qs were made with Larry's call
as N6NC/MM.  We were using 32 ft long sailboat with diesel engine.  Name of
the boat was Dragonfly.  Original plan was to operate Multi-Single but since
Larry was more interested of sea activity I ended up to do all radist work
and hence Single Op entry.  Antenna was 20 m inverted V but as boats metal
mast was interfering with it and SWR was swinging wildly radio was not very
happy with it and we ended up rigging the antenna as vertical with one
radial, which worked much better.
There was also 40 m extension for the antenna but at the end it was never
used and I just used K3 radios tuner to force feed it on 15 m and make
couple other QSOs on other bands.  15 m was actually working quite well to
DX and I could have spent more time there.  Objective was not to make score,
but to operate several hundreds of Qs with any customers.  I felt big
difference on working US after everyone turned their antenna from EU to Asia
during afternoon.  On the way back when already in zone 3 and about hour
away from San Diego boat's engine died (most likely clogged fuel filter) and
we needed to get towed back.  It worked out well as owner of the boat had
insurance covering the tow, and we were only delayed couple hours on return.
It was another great radio adventure in working 40 zones.  Hope to work
everyone again in CW portion if I'm able to make it to somewhere interesting
this year.  Big thanks to Larry and John for all the support.
Tnx for Qs de Marko N5ZO

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: N6NC/MM
Operator(s): N5ZO
Station: N6NC/MM

Class: SOAB LP
Class Overlay: Classic
QTH: At sea, CQ zone 3
Operating Time (hrs): 2+

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:   82     7        8
   15:   18     9        8
   10:
------------------------------

Tnx for QSOs while in zone 3 at sea.

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: NT6Q
Operator(s): N5ZO
Station: N5ZO

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 4+
Radios: SO2R

  160:    1     1        1
   80:   10     7        6
   40:   10     7        8
   20:  143    18       24
   15:  103    15       21
   10:    3     1        1

Just goofing around from home before and after maritime operations.
Nice to see some 15 m.  Tnx for Qs de Marko N5ZO