[SCCC] Incredibly Noisy Power Supply

Steve k0xp at k0xp.com
Fri Apr 23 03:55:58 EDT 2021

Pour yourself a cuppa and sit back, as this is kinda long...

I could ask about this on some computer forums; but those guys likely
wouldn't have the vaguest idea what kind of noise I'm talking about,
nor why I'm bothered by it. I'd likely get all kinds of suggestions
and questions about my software, operating system, amount of RAM, and
what-not, none of which figures here anyhow.

I have a fairly-new HP laptop (that my brother gave me) that uses a
ubiquitous 19.5V 2.31 amp switching supply. When this switcher is
plugged in and charging, the radiated noise level is so high that my
S-meter reads S5 on 80 or 40 and S7 on 20. I haven't tried 160 or 15
but I'm not nearly as concerned about those bands, as the bands I'm
most likely to use at any given time are 80, 40 or 20.

The laptop connector isn't simply a two-pin coaxial type; it
apparently has a battery sense connection inside the shell
surrounding the center pin. I built myself a nice little regulated
19.5 volt linear power supply and after testing and being satisfied
it wouldn't go apes and kill my new laptop, finally got around to
cutting the DC power cord between the switching power supply and
laptop so I could splice in connectors to plug it into the new linear
supply, only to discover there are THREE wires in there, not just
two. That's when I carefully examined the insides of the connector
and noticed the inner coaxial shell surrounding the center pin. After
temporarily splicing the cable back together, I measured the voltage
on the third blue wire (the two main DC wires are conveniently red
and black), I found the blue wire to snap up to 19.5V and sometimes
down to 0, but also sometimes some value in between, apparently
depending upon what I was doing with the laptop and how much current
it was drawing from the switcher.

Looking on epay, I find these power supplies available for a few
bucks and extremely common. My brother's newer Dell laptop has the
same power connector and voltage/current ratings on his switching
power supply (which looks identical to mine except with different
markings; it even has the same design strain relief on the DC cord).
The connector seems to be 4.5 mm OD, 2.5 mm ID, according to the epay
vendors. It's similar to, but not like, the power connector on my old
Sony Vaio laptop, which DID have only the two power wires in its
cable (and whose center pin is much thicker, as well as not having
that center shell connection).

Of course, I've tried ferrite beads on both the AC input and DC
output supply cables, to no avail. Thus, I conclude the switcher is
likely radiating all by its lonesome (the laptop is almost dead-quiet
in the radio(s) when not plugged in, with just a little bit of
scratching noise when I scroll the screen).

Other than mounting that dang switcher inside a metal box then
filtering the heck outta all wires, I can't think of what else to do
right now. I'd love to use my custom-built linear supply but am now
reluctant to plug it into the laptop, in case the laptop NEEDS some
sort of signal on that third blue wire and otherwise goes apes or
dies, itself. The switcher's plastic case is solidly glued together.
I suppose I could buy an epay-special then break apart the plastic
case to try to see whether that blue wire's connections might be easy
to emulate; I guess that's my next step. I have little hope of being
able to reverse-unjinere that switcher, however.

Would anybody happen to know what that third blue wire actually does,
what signal it carries, and how to emulate it on a homebrew linear
supply? Or maybe even know of an available linear replacement power
supply?? Surely, I'm not the only character who's come across a
filthy switcher for these newer laptops.

Thanks,
SteveH K0XP