[SCCC] I will be on 10m CW Friday Night from 0000z to abouot 0300z

Larry Shapiro lashap at cox.net
Fri Apr 30 14:02:28 EDT 2021

47935 from 1990
Will try and get on the air !
Larry k6ro

-----Original Message-----
From: Arnie via SCCC
Sent: Friday, April 30, 2021 10:55 AM
To: Steve ; Tim Goeppinger ; sccc at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [SCCC] I will be on 10m CW Friday Night from 0000z to abouot
0300z

#464 – That is a hoot!
Arnie N6HC

From: Steve
Sent: Friday, April 30, 2021 1:07 AM
To: Tim Goeppinger; sccc at contesting.com
0300z

At 08:37 PM 4/29/2021, Tim Goeppinger wrote:
>If you haven't dusted off your 10-10 number lately, you can look it
>up here.  ten-ten.org/resources/tenten-lookup
>  Last year I was impressed that many of you have 4 digit 10-10 numbers!

... But of course we all have 4-digit numbers, we're all
old-timers  8-D The real old geezers, however, will all have 3-digit
numbers, though; and the Priests and Priestesses of the Sanctuary
will have 2-digit numbers. Finally, there will be the Gods of them
all, with single-digit numbers... EXCEPT there is apparently just one
of those left.

Having too much time on my hands and nothing to do the rest of the
night until bedtime, I decided to go look up a few things at that
site above. It's not surprising that there is only one single-digit
member still alive; however, what's surprising is he's number 1, and
the next surviving 10-10 member is #13, K6OYX. (Looking through the
list of the first 1000 members, the only two calls that jumped out at
me are Larry, K6YUI with #62, and W6RW, #29.

It seems the dates the listing provides are something other than when
a person became a member, as my listing says 04/1978, and the listing
indicates that #1 guy became a member in 6/1994. My 10-10 certificate
was issued on 1/30/73. The web page "What is 10-10?" says this: "The
Ten-Ten International Net, Inc. was formed back in 1962 as the
Ten-Ten Net of Southern California. Its purpose was to promote
activity and good operating practice on the ten meter amateur band.
During the first few years the organization grew slowly, but by 1975
there were 10,000 members, and the word "International" had crept
into the name. There have now been over 75,000 10-10 numbers issued
world wide."

To get my number, I actually drove out into the desert somewhere, I
forget where, and visited W6LRY, the secretary at the time, at his
mobile home, who was maintaining and issuing the numbers. I watched
as, after examining my log, he opened his ledger and carefully wrote
in my callsign then typed out the certificate; I've got it in front of me.

There's a couple of oddballs listed in that "Founders" list of the
first 1,000 members: try #129, then for giggles, #464. There's also a
guy listed from Bahrain, with a MP4 call 8-O

SteveH, K0XP