[SCCC] digital modes during FD

Dennis Younker NE6I NE6I at cox.net
Thu Feb 11 19:25:51 EST 2021

Couple comments.

Check FT4 as well. QSOs are much faster on FT4 as that mode is designed for
contests (albeit many are using it for day-to-day contacts today as well).
The tradeoff is that FT4 is slightly less sensitive than FT8 but the QSOs
are quicker. Whether FT8 or FT4, be sure to set WSJT-X to Contest mode to
avoid exchange issues. If one station is in contest mode and the other is
not, there will be an exchange sequence issue. Be sure the exchange itself
is set up properly on the Advanced tab of WSJT-X as well.

As for FT8 frequencies on HF, if the standard freqs are busy (jammed) during
contests, it is not uncommon to use frequencies 2 and 4 kHz up. IE, instead
of 14.074, try 14.076 and 14.078. You may have to add these for FT8 to the
Frequencies configuration in Settings as these are two frequencies come
preconfigured for JT65 and JT9 respectively. Those two modes are rarely used
on HF anymore. Do not try to use 14.080 for FT8 as that is the standard FT4
frequency. You can extrapolate for other bands.

Digital modes on 6 meters: I will second what Jim says. Very fun. On a Field
Day weekend, I'm not sure we have had the band open on 6 meters yet (FT8 and
FT4 are relatively new modes) but I would think we might have a lot of
stations misconfigured on that band if that were to happen. Not to say there
aren't contesters on 6 meters because there definitely are, and the ones
that are there every day are savvy enough to go into contest mode. Those new
to 6 meters and not contesters may not realize what is going on and stay in
what I will call regular mode, which will be messy as noted above. Just an
fyi.

--Dennis NE6I