[SCCC] digital modes during FD

Drew Arnett arnett.drew at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 09:52:00 EST 2021

Thanks for the great info, Dennis.  Contest mode of course.  Thanks
for the intel on how folks these days are or should be spreading off
of a single calling frequency.  One less thing for me to have to
figure out!  :-)

I did see the impact FT had on INCREASING activity on 6m outside of
contests.  That is awesome.  Hopefully the VHF contesters can find a
resolution to their current gripe that doesn't exclude participation
from those with limited capabilities or other reasons to focus on FT
modes.

Very early reports suggested people weren't migrating to FT4 as
quickly as one would hope.  That's based on what I've read and not on
my own operating experience.  (I've just fooled around with FT8,
mostly before FT4 got going.)  If folks are moving over to FT4
appropriately, that'll definitely make volunteering to do FT during FD
1/2 as painful (as the intervals and QSO time are 1/2 as long.)  :-)

Seems like SO2R where the 2nd radio just gets a button clicked every
couple of minutes and the first radio is normal FD ops on phone or CW
would be a good way to add points and keep things interesting.  Given
that I have zero SO2R skill, maybe I should try that with FT8 first
(slower) before moving on to FT4?  :-)

Best regards,

Drew
n7da