[SCCC] Art Goddard, wagonmaster

Wayne Overbeck overbeck6 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 14 17:40:54 EST 2021

I was as horrified as anyone when we learned of Art Goddard's passing yesterday.  We're all grieving this enormous loss.

Let me tell about another aspect of Art's long and distinguished career:  yes, he was an aerospace executive, a book author, a 65-year radio amateur, an ARRL director, and a world-traveling contester.  But he was also the wagonmaster of our VHF-UHF roving groups.

In the 2000s and 2010s Art joined in our VHF roves where as many as 15 operators took 10 or 12 stations and roved together (while operating separately).  It became obvious right away that someone had to coordinate everything or it would descend into chaos.  It also became obvious that I wasn't the best field marshal or quarterback.  Art stepped in and took charge.  We came to call him our wagonmaster.  On his watch, SCCC won about 12 or our 14 club gavels in VHF contests.  With Art calling the signals, SCCC often left the likes of the Potomac Valley Radio Club and the Mt. Airy Packrats far behind.  Not even Tom Brady had a winning streak as a signal-caller like Art Goddard.

Art Goddard was the best wagonmaster I ever met.

73, Wayne Overbeck, N6NB