[SCCC] RTTY Roundup K6NR SO RTTY HP

Steve k0xp at k0xp.com
Mon Jan 4 13:20:15 EST 2021

At 09:11 PM 1/3/2021, Dana Roode K6NR wrote:
>I read the off-time rules a few times, and don't quite get it.  I took a
>couple of long breaks and a few shorter ones.  Doesn't sound like I am in
>compliance, but I don't know what the penalty is of taking "too many"
>breaks.  I made lots of good RTTY contacts however.

There has been an extensive discussion of this oddly-worded "rule" on
the PVRC reflector the past week, and they sought interpretation. The
interpretation came from WK6I (apparently associated with the contest
in some manner), and is summarized as:

The ARRL's software will look for your two longest breaks, and count
those as your off-time. All other breaks will be counted as operating
time. You get a total of 24 hours operating time, so those smaller
breaks actually count as operating time. The software will then count
the first 24 hours of operating time toward your score. All time
spent in the contest after that first 24 hours will not be counted
for your score and supposedly, there is no penalty: you just didn't
make any valid QSOs after that first 24 hours.

Apparently, the wording has been worded so ambigously for a long time
and the ARRL has done nothing to change the wording to make it more
clear. From what I read, the wording has not changed, and so remains
as clear as muck and mud this year.

Not to fear: the ARRL's software will correct your log.

SteveH K0XP