[SCCC] Logging a SAT QSO in Cabrillo

Ryan Noguchi ai6do at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 5 21:57:24 EDT 2021

 It doesn't really matter what you put in your Cabrillo log since they don't do automated log checking for ARRL Field Day. I just put "SAT" in the frequency field myself to clearly identify it as a satellite contact. Otherwise it'll be indistinguishable from terrestrial 2M or 70CM contacts. When I used to do a lot of satellite QSOs for Field Day, I'd put the satellite name in the frequency field, but nowadays I just do one and done.
To upload to LoTW, you need an ADIF file, not Cabrillo, with the following fields at a minimum to secure a match: call, qso_date, time_on, band, mode, prop_mode ("SAT"), and sat_name. Yes, the right band to use is the uplink band:  2M for Mode B, 70CM for Mode J. The downlink band (band_rx field) is not required.
73, Ryan AI6DO