[SCCC] "There's Something About the Voice"

Steve k0xp at k0xp.com
Tue Jul 6 05:32:07 EDT 2021

 From another contester reflector:

A Contester, a DXer, and a QRPer walk into a bar. This bar is no
ordinary bar: it's a special bar  in the basement of the Dayton ham radio club.

Everyone takes his seat and orders a Whiskey. Suddenly, there is a
wild rumor floating around: Martti, OH2BH, is in North Korea and P5DX
is on the air!

Contester says: I bet that I can work him with my first call.

DXer says: I bet that I can work him with MY first call.

QRPer says: I bet that I can work him with 5 watts.

Everyone moves in front of the rig located in the corner of the bar.

The contester goes first. He turns the rig on, takes the mic and
finds the last caller. He calls Martti with perfect timing. Martti
answers to someone else.

The contester was too lazy to wait for three minutes for the linear to warm up.

The DXer says to the QRPer: "It's your turn, do your best.".

The QRPer dials the power down to 5 watts and selects CW. He
frantically calls for three minutes, hoping Martti would pick him
out, but no cigar: Martti answers to someone else.

Meanwhile, the linear has warmed up, so it's the DXer's turn. He
tunes the linear for maximum smoke and gives the last two of his
call: "alpha hotel, alpha hotel!". But Martti answers to someone else.

The waitress notices these three unhappy fellows and asks: "Would you
guys like to have another three Whiskies?"

Suddenly Martti's voice comes booming out of the speaker: "Stand-by,
who's the YL, three Whiskey?"