[SCCC] N6MI Field Day report

bovitz at bovitz.com bovitz at bovitz.com
Wed Jul 7 12:15:58 EDT 2021

Here is the N6MI team Field Day 2021 report.

Frazier Peak (8,013 feet), DM04ms, Class 2A, Santa Barbara Section.

Daytime temperatures in the 70s. But it was cold at night.

The team included K6VCR, N7DA, NB6E, N6MI, K1BTW, Broden Weeks (a youth!),
plus our GOTA operator/chef/lumberjack (KN6OGP).

We used an inverted vee on 80 meters (106 CW, 56 FT8, 28 LSB contacts), a
two element yagi on 40 meters at 50 feet (401 CW, 787 LSB contacts), a three
element yagi on 20 meters at 60 feet (790 CW, 7 FT8, and 145 USB contacts),
a three element yagi on 15 meters at 25 feet before it blew over (14 CW, 1
USB), a three element yagi on 10 meters at 20 feet (not used), a 6 meter
loop (not used), and a 6 element yagi on 2 meters at 8 feet (1 CW and 1 FM
contact).

At our GOTA station, KN6OGP used a spider beam at about 20 feet to make 22
USB contacts, mostly on 15 meters. With the patient coaching of N7DA, these
were KN6OGP's first contacts on the ham bands.

What about next year? We should have assigned an operator to VHF. Duh.

K1BTW and Broden Weeks (BNinja Productions) produced a documentary of the
2021 Field Day operation for presentation to local club. Let me know (off
line) if your club needs a speaker on "Field Day in the mountains."

Thank you for the contacts.

73,

J. Scott Bovitz

N6MI