[SCCC] Plans for ARRL January VHF Contest This Weekend

Tim Goeppinger timgep at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 12 01:26:34 EST 2022

I will be roving again this time in the common 4 L.A. basin area grids on Saturday.  I plan to start out at Signal Hill for DM03. Montebello for DM04,  and finish
the day at DM13 and DM14 in Diamond Bar.  As usual, I will be on the 4 low bands as a Limited Rover (6, 2, 222 FM, and 440).   On Sunday I will probably be going to Arizona to take part in the beehive of activity they have there.

I am continuing my strategy to make 90% of my QSOs on SSB or FM.  I only go on FT8 to look for multipliers during openings.  Look for me on the following modes and freqs:   50.130 SSB,  144.200 SSB, 146.52, .55, and .58 FM,  223.5 FM, 432.1 SSB and 446.000 FM.

Lets try to kick the contest off well the first 2 hours by contacting each other on 6 meter SSB in the range of 50.125 and 50.140.   We can QSY to 2 , 220 and 440 to "run the bands".  This way we won't get bogged down on FT8 making slow local contacts.  This strategy worked well in June and September
Remember, a rover can be worked each time they are in a new grid.    It often takes almost 2 hours drive time and setup between grid changes.  Be patient.  Hope springs eternal for 6 meter openings, but I'm not counting on it.

Please join the Facebook Group for So Calif VHF Contesters here https://www.facebook.com/groups/237955553774654/

There will be at least 1 other rover out there this weekend - N6UTC/R.  Please give him a lot of contacts too.
In addition, there might be some Summits On The Air (SOTA) activiations this weekend, and they are always looking for QSOs.  They are usually nice and loud!

Tnx & 73,

Tim N6GP/R
714-875-2344

[https://ipmcdn.avast.com/images/icons/icon-envelope-tick-round-orange-animated-no-repeat-v1.gif]<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail&utm_term=icon>    Virus-free. www.avast.com<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail&utm_term=link>