[SCCC] Jan VHF - N7DA/R

Drew Arnett arnett.drew at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 12:35:23 EST 2022

limited rover
claimed:  2040 pts

QSOs:  87
My grids:  2   'DM12', 'DM13'
QSOs per band:
    '220': 21
    '440': 28
    '144': 27
    '50': 11
grids per band:
    '220': 'DM12', 'DM03', 'DM13', 'DM04'
    '440': 'DM12', 'DM13', 'DM04'
    '144': 'DM12', 'DM13', 'DM04'
    '50': 'DM12', 'DM13', 'DM04'
QSO points:  136
Mults:  15
Score:  2040

Kept the setup effort small, so went FM only.  Vehicle mounted whips,
mobile radios, and a KX3 for 6m FM.  Double Peak Park in DM13 2 hours
Saturday and West Sycamore in DM12 for 4 (slow at times) hours Sunday.
Found out that I need to find out more about the SOC (state-of-charge)
feature on my battery.  :-)

Great to work all sorts of stations:  HT to super home stations and
rovers.  Quite a few stations were from the SDARES crowd.  Great that
they encourage their members to play in these events for simplex
experience.  Worked a lot of folks on HTs.  Or folks who went outside
with an HT or fired up a rig on whatever antenna they had to give me
one more band.  Much appreciated!

Worked a number of relatively new operators which is great.

Always interesting to see who you can work and on what bands.
Sometimes operators were behind a hill or ridgeline, but it still
happened.  Sometimes we could work on 3 but not 4 bands as the
propagation just didn't happen on the 4th. FM contesting is always
interesting with the capture effect and folks on high hills and in low
valleys.  So, it's always educational to play in this event for a bit,
even if FM only.

If going big VHF contesting in SoCal, you don't want to ignore FM.
(Or digital or MS or SSB/CW.  Hmm.  I want a team for VHF contesting.)

It's SoCal when you work a station on an HT who is sitting outside in
January watching a water polo game!

Drew
n7da/r