[SCCC] california vehicle code - hands free law?

Drew Arnett arnett.drew at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 09:23:25 EST 2022

Hi,

I'm running a group of students through Tech license exam prep.  One
of the students asked what the deal is for amateur radio today given
the round of distracted driver/hands free legislation that happened a
few years ago.

Is there a useful definitive answer I can point the students to?  I
can point to the section of the vehicle code and tell them to check
with their counsel.

Googling shows me what I roughly recall from the last change that
occured 2016/2017.  The ARRL advised that it be amended to provide an
explicit amateur radio exemption.  Didn't see anything from ARRL after
that press release.  Found copies of an email that are supposed to be
from CHP about this; would be great to have a validated reference.
That said pretty much what my recollection was:  hand mic for mobile
is OK, handheld is at least questionable.  It could be that I wasn't
persistent enough in googling.

Is there a solid reference beyond just the vehicle code that I can
point out to the students?  Is that CHP email on a CHP website or
publication?  Any advice from ARRL counsel or other counsel to the
California amateur radio community?  Has the current vehicle code on
this been tested in amateur radio related ways, yet?  It's been a few
years, so I'm hoping there is a solid unambiguous answer available
today.

Thanks and best regards,

Drew
n7da