[SCCC] Additional link to explanatory message

Marty Woll n6vi at socal.rr.com
Sun Dec 31 16:07:49 EST 2023

Hi, Ryan.

Thanks for your viewpoint.  If you read the current Bylaw 46 (https://www.arrl.org/files/file/About%20ARRL/ARRL_ByLaws_pdf.pdf ), you'll see that the existing conflict-of-interest policy is pretty thorough.  I don't think anyone is arguing that those rules should not remain in place.

As for confidentiality, my opinion is that a membership organization is very different than a for-profit entity or a trade association in that the members have a right to know how their elected representatives voted on any given issue.  Otherwise, they can't tell whether that representative paid any attention to the expressed wishes of the members who elected him or her.  Such matters as pending or threatened litigation and personnel matters are appropriately considered confidential, but matters of financial management, operating practices and changes to member-facing programs are valid items for disclosure and discussion.  Five years ago, the Board censured our Southwestern Division Director for describing the effects of published Board actions (censure since eradicated after member outcry), and they have taken other actions designed to silence or eject Board members with minority opinions.  I have seen it firsthand, and it stifles debate and an open exchange of opinions.

Sunshine is still one of the most effective disinfectants.

73,

Marty N6VI