[SCCC] WV6LBP'S (N6VR) first radios

Raymond Benny rayn6vr at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 18:26:37 EST 2023

Licensed as WV6LBP in March, 1960 at age 15. Wow! now 60 years later...

My first rig was a homebrew single 6AQ5 tube (5w) built by my neighbor
W6ANE in San Diego. RX was a terribly unstable National NC98. Later in
Clairemont HS, I built a two tube 807 xtal controlled transmitter from an
old ARRL Handbook. Also able to buy a used Hallicrafters SX101 Mark III.
Very good RX for me at that time.

In 1961 I upgraded to a Tech, then a General class license, WA6LBP. Once I
did that, my parents bought me a Heathkit DX-60, assemble yourself, 100w tx
kit. Still crystal controlled. Operated mostly 40m & 80m. Later that year I
bought a used Heathkit VF-1 VFO. Got on 20m &15m CW then.

In 1962 I upgraded to a Collins 75A3 and a Johnson Pacemaker transmitter
which had SSB. Also build a single 4-400A amp, about 500w.

Past present of SCCC, VP for a few other years, late '90's, early 2000's.

Ray,
N6VR/W7YA

15 miles north of Prescott, AZ on 5 acres.
Love it here!