[SCCC] Amplifiers

Paul Kube K6PO at outlook.com
Fri Mar 10 15:57:06 EST 2023

I'd do some
comparison shopping to see if there may be others that have better internal
protection.
Based on my experience, you will find that all models of amateur legal limit solid-state amps have a record of output module failures. The modern LDMOS devices those amps use now have amazing power dissipation ratings, but it's hard to ensure perfect bonding to the heatsink. They have terrific SWR handling specs, but their gates are real sensitive to overvoltage and overcurrent, and protection circuits sometimes don't operate fast enough to prevent failure. There aren't any good published statistics comparing different amps with respect to failure rates and root causes, so it's just hard to make a well-informed choice. That said, all the current offerings -- KPA-1500, PGXL, SPE 1.5K and 2K, RF-KIT RF2K-S, Mercury LUX, Acom 2020S,... -- have lots of customers who haven't had any problems, and you may become one of them.

73, Paul K6PO