[SCCC] separating zero beated pileups?

David Hachadorian k6ll.dave at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 11:23:50 EDT 2024

You asked an excellent question!

Here are some suggestions:

Try to avoid a pileup situation in the first place, by sending short
CQ's, increasing CW speed, and not signing your call at the end of a QSO
if you have a caller waiting.

If you have a pileup, reduce receiver RF gain so that AGC will not
compress amplitudes to the same level.  On some radios, you can even
turn off AGC.  A signal that is even slightly louder than the others
will then stand out.

In a pileup, try to get at least a fragment of one call.  For example,
if you hear ####BC## just send BC.  If you don't get even a fragment,
just be silent and someone will start calling again.

If you are using N1MM Logger, have the Check Window positioned near the
Entry Window.  If you get a pretty good fragment of a call, you can
probably look at the check window and intuit the full call.  You can
then either click on it with the mouse, or Yank (ALT-Y) to put the call
in the entry window.  Sometimes it is easier to just edit what you
already have in the Entry Window.

Practice between contests using a CW trainer like MorseRunner, setting
it to pileup mode.

If the pileup goes totally out of control, you can QSY.  It helps to
have a Panadapter so you can find another clear frequency.

If you want on-the-air pileup practice, show up in the Wednesday CWT's
at about 45 past the hour and call CQ twice.  A Skimmer will pick you up
and the horde will descend.

73

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ