[SCCC] W6VPH SK

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Sun Jun 30 03:57:41 EDT 2024

I am saddened to report that Bud Ansley, W6VPH lost his long battle with
Alzheimer's disease on June 19, 2024. I first met Bud when I started
working in the Communications Ground System Section of JPL in 1997. Bud
was an R&D technician who built RF equipment used in NASA's Deep Space
Network as well as occasional prototypes for spaceflight hardware.

Bud loved to talk about his contesting and DX exploits and I spent many
a lunch hour in his lab talking with him about all things real ham
radio. These included Bud's operations from various HF super-stations
such as Dr Phil Coussen WA6ZZK's QTH in Lancaster and Jack Hachten
W6TSW's high mesa QTH in Anza. Circa 1990 Bud built a 13 element 20
meter Yagi designed by Dan Bathker K6BLG at Hachten's Anza QTH. It was
fixed at 15 degrees north for working Europe short path. A short article
on this monster antenna along with a photo of Bud on one of the towers
that supported it can be found here:
(https://jplarc.org/newsletters/1996/feb/feb96.html). There is also an
article on this antenna in the IEEE Transactions on Antennas and
Propagation (unfortunately it is behind a paywall):
https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/88217/authors#authors

In addition to his many exploits on HF, Bud was an avid satellite and
EME operator. On his small lot in Monrovia he had a fairly large EME
array. If I remember correctly it was a pair of very long-boom 2 meter
Yagis stacked horizontally along with four large 70CM yagis in an
H-frame all on a common AZ-EL rotator. Bud also enjoyed building
homebrew amplifiers for both HF, VHF, and UHF and from what I understand
some of these amplifiers (in the style of the time he came up in) had
considerable headroom 🙂. In addition to working many DXCC entities on
satellite, Bud traveled to Haiti as a guest of Dan HH2MC to put HH on
satellite.

Bud was a veteran of the US Navy. Services will be held at 10:30 AM on
Monday July 8th at the Riverside National Cemetery.

73, Mike W4EF