[SD-User] Slurring CW

tom taylor tom@tctaylor.demon.co.uk
Sun, 23 Dec 2001 12:16:46 +0000

Hi John,
>    Hi All...
>    I have a mate KI7VR who is trying to get used to SD and SDX as we
>    are going on a radio vacation in Jan/Feb to VP5 and I am of course
>    going to use SD on CQDX 160m CW from there and SDX for all the rest
>    of the time, however Bruce has been having problems with "slurring"
>    CW when he uses the keyer within SD while in windows, and even when
>    "Shelled" out using the dos within windows still gets the slurring
>    of some (not all) characters. it also speeds up and slows dwn as
>    well, even after the "calibrate" command. I have also moded the
>    memory so thats ok
>    I have found this myself BUT I always use SD in DOS and not with
>    windows in the background, this must have happened to all the other
>    uses on the reflector, has anyone got a cure for it???? as we will

you yourself have the cure.   I have found that DOS drivers (CW keyers
etc) do not run well in any Windows operating system because Windows is
taking up so much of the CPU time.  I have experienced this in other
Logging programs which provide a CW Keying facility.  I have found the
answer is to get out of windows COMPLETELY.

This can be achieved by watching the PC screen and as soon as you see
the message 'LOADING WINDOWS 95' hit the F8 key.
You will then be offered a menu with options;    select Shift/F5.
You will then be in DOS with the c:\windows prompt.
Change Directory to the root directory (where, I assume your SD is)
then load SD as you would do in a non-windows environment and your
computer generated CW should be perfect.

Hope to QSO you in VP5.

73, MX  +  HNY

TOM / G0PSE

--