[SD-User] Re: SD and my new Notebook

Sid Will Sid Will" <sidwill@lineone.net
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 06:20:06 -0000

SD de GM4SID
In spite of the following, SD runs perfectly if you exit windows:
START   |   SHUT DOWN    |     RESTART IN MS.DOS MODE.
However,
I run SD under MS-DOS 6.2 on my Packard Bell laptop.
I made a boot disk from DOS and added an AUTOEXEC.BAT file with a
path statement to 'concentrate its mind' to C:\DOS where DOS resides.
I also made a CONFIG.SYS file on the boot disk which includes
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE ON
Keep the disk in the floppy drive all the time as it needs to get to
the COMMAND.COM file.
With the disk in place, it boots up the C:\ quite quickly and then
its back to the good old ways!!  I use the laptop on contests because
my desktop radiates birdies all over the place. The laptop doesn't.

Incidentially, if you use EDIT from windows, it aint as good as the
version in DOS 6.2.  If you do a search on a file it can only search the
file from where you are to the end.  The DOS version searches right
through the file.   I renamed the Windows version EDITW.COM and
copied over EDIT.COM from DOS.  Also copy QBASIC.exe over
because the DOS version of EDIT uses QBASIC.

73 de Sid, GM4SID
sidwill@lineone.net