[SD-User] Re: SD-User Digest, Vol 6, Issue 3

Martin Davies G0HDB g0hdb at amdavies.demon.co.uk
Wed Jun 18 20:58:57 EDT 2003

On 18 Jun 2003 at 12:02, sd-user-request at contesting.com wrote:

> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. SD WIN  K'Board Help Please. (John Snell)
>    2. Source of DOS (Frank Claytonsmith)

> Message: 2
>
> Hi,
>
> I have recently procured an early Pentium which I have been thinking
> of dedicating to DOS (ie no Windows on the machine) for running DOS
> based logging programs and other DOS software.  Can anyone suggest
> where I might procure cheaply one of the later versions of DOS as
> opposed the stuff that comes packaged with Windows 95 or 98?

You should be able to buy Microsoft DOS 6.22 pretty cheaply from a number
of places - the only one I can think of offhand is the CD-ROM Cellar but try a
Google search for appropriate phrases!

An alternative will be to use one of the free DOS-lookalikes; I think there's
even one called FreeDOS!

I use an excellent DOS replacement called Caldera OpenDOS V7.03 (aka
Novell DOS 7.0) on my 'radio' PC; the OS includes multi-tasking and task-
switching facilities as well as Novell networking (if you want/need it!).  It was
free for private use when I downloaded about it 3-4 years ago but I think it
now costs something like $20.  Also, it no longer goes under the name
Caldera;  at one time it became Lineo DOS but it has, I believe, recently
changed again.  However, a search for Caldera or Lineo DOS should reveal
the links to its latest re-incarnation.

If you really get stuck I could probably find the installation floppies I
generated from the download for OpenDOS V7.03 and could copy them for
you.

Good hunting!
--
73, Martin G0HDB