[SD-User] SD/DOS V10.15

G3ZSU g3zsu at btopenworld.com
Mon Apr 19 17:13:56 EDT 2004

Paul,

Sorry you seem to be having a hard time from people with apparent good
intent but what can only be described as using "legacy" operating systems.

I understand your predicament. To be honest I've been fairly satisfied with
YPLog as my station log and even used it for some contests.  That is 100% a
Windows based system.

However, YPlog is pretty much unsupported now because of the situation with
Tony and his health - so a nice programme will become useless in a few years
when it won't support the latest radio's or software platforms.  On the
other hand, no-one can claim that SD is unsupported with probably 8, 9 or 10
releases per year plus a few specials like the Jubilee version a couple of
years back.

I understand SD is a labour of love to an extent and also requires a change
in direction.  I was quite happy with Wordstar as a word processing
programme in 1982 (or whenever).  However Windows 3.11 came along and I just
jolly well had to get used to WinWord.  The same applies to SD.  DOS is
pretty much unsupported as an operating system in it's own right and I
appreciate that there has to be a limit to how far a particular development
is taken.

The beauty of SDWIN is that to all intents and purposes it looks, feels and
behaves like the DOS version, so at the moment we don't suffer a culture
shock, we just have to abandon those 15 year old machines that did nothing
else than ran SD. I look forward to the next developments with SD and accept
there may be some changes forced on it by the next generation operating
systems.  We'll need USB keying support soon as well as USB rig interfaces
just for starters.

How about a Linux, Redhat or Lindows compatible version?

For my part, thanks for all your work in the past, please keep it going for
the future and I trust the product will go from strength to strength because
it is so well suported and does exactly what it says on the tin.

73

Shaun
G3ZSU