[SD-User] SDWIN LPT1 CW

Paul O'Kane paul at ei5di.com
Sat Jan 3 23:32:50 EST 2004

Vic Rosenthal wrote:

> ...  However, I still have two  problems with the Windows
> program: 1) The first dot or dash is often much too long
> when CW generation starts, and 2) Hitting ESC to terminate
> sending results in a long dash before it stops.

There are separate solutions to the extended first character
for W98SE and for XP. I'm assuming that, in each case, SD/WIN
is started from a desktop icon, and that it's not running in
full-screen mode.

For W98SE, a cure is to have another Windows application
running, for example Outlook or Excel, click on its window
and then return to the SD/WIN window.  I don't know why it
works, but it does!  This cures another problem with W98SE
(not apparent with XP) - a noticeable delay (independent of
the PTT setting) before keying starts. However, it doesn't
entirely cure the extended final character problem after
hitting Esc to stop the keyer.  This is happening with both
W98SE and XP.  I'll have another look at the SD/WIN code -
perhaps I can do something about this.

In the release notes for V10.02 I described the extended
first character problem with an XP portable. Setting the
initial PTT delay (with the PTT command) to 130 milliseconds
cured it for that particular PC - but this approach may not
be relevant with W98SE.

73,
Paul EI5DI