[SD-User] Rig control problems

Ian Greenshields ian.greenshields at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 05:25:45 EDT 2005

Hi Martyn,

Well, your problem intrigued me to the point where I've just tried it, also
having an FT-817, but never having tried it with SD.

My results appear consistent with yours. SD will read the frequency, but not
band or mode, and will not set the frequency. I'm using the FT-897 control
file, but a quick look at the FT-817 CAT commands and the
FT897.SD<http://FT897.SD>file would indicate they are the same.

I have created a Ten-Tec Jupiter control file, which reads frequency and
mode OK, and SD tracks the band, but I cannot set the frequency as I cannot
tell SD, via the control file, what the set frequency command is.

What is interesting is the FT817 requires the opcode 01 to set frequency
(opcode 03 interrogates frequency, which is in the file), so unless it's
hard coded, it would not appear possible for SD to set the frequency on the
FT-817. Either the FT-897 is different, or that doesn't work either. And I
was thinking all along I just had a weird radio that was different to
everything else!

Why the mode and band is not tracking on the FT-817 is stranger. As I've
already goofed off work for most of the morning, I'll fiddle around with it
and see if I can learn anything!

73 Ian G4FSU