[SD-User] 7QP

Brian Summers summersb at telus.net
Wed May 7 01:19:21 EDT 2008

Tnx for the comments Paul. I've put some responses below yours, plus an
additional question.

Brian VE7JKZ

Whatever you can do Paul. It's not a big problem - I can always set it by
ear, or make some rough markings around the pot edge.

>> 2)I did not spend much time looking at the QSO rate
>>   information but notice it was incorrect.
>
> Did anyone else notice this?  Or, does it happen under
> any particular circumstances?

During the next contest I'll pay more attention and see if its linked to
anything.

>> 3)During the 7QPDX template set-up I had to select
>>   between either CW or SSB, but the 7QP is a mixed mode
>> contest so I don't understand why I couldn't select both.
>
> For mixed-mode contests the "mode" selection question
> means "mode now" rather than a fixed mode for the whole
> contest.  I will change the question accordingly.  In
> mixed-mode contests, as sefined in the corresponding
> template file, SD lets you change mode regardless of
> the initial mode selected.

OK, now I understand. It's not an issue, more a familiarity thing.

>> 4. There's a window top right on the screen that shows
>>    60 of the eligible 260 or so state/counties. Is there
>>    any way I could scroll down to see the others?
>
> I could do this but a scroll feature would need an initial
> command (or a unique initial keystroke) - in the same
> way that HELP opens a Help window that can then be
> scrolled.  What command should I use?
>
> There's a feature in SD that lets you check the status of
> any "area" multiplier just by typing the abbreviation in
> the callsign field.  For example, in CQWW, typing 14
> gives the multiplier status for Zone 14 (by band).
>
> For some reason (now forgotten) this feature was disabled
> in contests where, as with 7QP, the mults count once only
> regardless of band or mode.  I've checked, and this is
> easy to reinstate.  Then, for example, typing MTFAL would
> show the mult status for Fallon County in MT.  Would that
> help?

I brought it up because there were a couple of ocassions when I wanted to
verify the county code received, wondering if I'd mistaken it for something
very similar, as opposed to checking multiplier status. I think I would find
the opportunity to scroll useful but offhand can't suggest a command to
implement it. Maybe those more familiar with SD who think the feature would
be worthwhile might comment?

New question. The Manchester Mineira All America CW Contest runs May 17/18th
and there is no template. Not that I could find anyway. What's involved in
creating one?

Brian VE7JKZ