[SD-User] SD in CQ160

Paul O'Kane pokane at ei5di.com
Sat Jan 24 09:59:24 EST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Sergeant" <dave at davesergeant.com>

> I am a bit puzzled that the right hand pane defaults to showing
> the list of US/VE states/provinces worked (in my case most of them...)
> and does not show by default DXCC worked (or for that matter zones)
> when you are not working W/VE.

Dave has raised a few issues here, and I'll try to explain
why SD deals with them as it does.

As described in the release notes for V14.16, under "Contests
with Country Mults" (this applies to CQ160), the Score window
now appears immediately when you log a QSO.  Previously, it
was replaced by a Countries Worked/Wanted analysis, for the
continent corresponding to the logged QSO, for some 15 seconds.
Some users felt, following the CQWW contest, this behaviour
was a bit too fussy - and I agreed.

As Dave says, you can get the country analysis with an F key,
in this case F4.  Perhaps I should give users the choice -
with an additional command and SD.INI parameter?  I'd prefer
not to move the DXCC worked info to the right hand pane, as
there is less room for the information.

There's probably not much point in having a zone analysis,
because zones are cosmetic and play no part in CQ160 scoring.
As always, the CQ160 exchange is entirely redundant for non-
W/VE stations as it is known in advance - and pre-filled by SD.

> Also there seems to be a bit of a bug, in that when you type
> in an LA (Norway) callsign it tells me I need Lousiana....

That's a feature in most contests with district codes (states).
Type the code to see on which bands it's needed.  Try it in a
test file for CQWW.  This may not be so useful in a single-band
contest, but that's just one more compromise in a logger that
supports many different contests.

In any case, the moment you type LA, SD indicates whether
LA (Norway) would be a mult (with M above the callsign),
so nothing is lost.

73,
Paul EI5DI