[SD-User] WAE Contest - SSB

Dave Sergeant dave at davesergeant.com
Mon Sep 13 10:48:34 PDT 2010

On 13 Sep 2010 at 17:51, PETER CLEALL wrote:

> had a listen to a few operators in the WAE and the concept of QTCs still
> not clear

You either love QTCs or you hate them, they are certainly something
different.

I don't enter WAE myself as they don't have a QRP section, and in any
case the thought of exchanging long strings of QTCs when you have a
marginal signal is not really on. And of course whereas you HAVE to use
QTCs if you want any reasonable score in the contest, finding out what
others have worked from their station achieves nothing in your own
'countries worked' standing, so the information is only useful for its
contest purposes. Furthermore under current conditions a contest where
you can only work stations outside of Europe means it is very hard work
with a small station.

Many enjoy the challenge of QTCs in these events, but they do nothing
for me. I liken them to Mornington Crescent - when you are waiting in a
pileup to work some exotic DX just as you are about to get your chance
somebody calls out 'QTC?' and you have to sit and twiddle your thumbs
for a while.

73 Dave G3YMC

http://www.davesergeant.com