[SECC] GQP and log formats

w3dya@juno.com w3dya@juno.com
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 06:18:18 -0500

To:  THE GQP "Contest" Committee:

Although I've thoroughly enjoyed participating in the GQP the past two
years as a mobile, and look forward to next year, I was disappointed at
the recent exchange concerning future log formats.

Not to the extent of skipping it next year, and certainly not nearly
enough to make any complaints to the group sponsoring the GQP or checking
the logs.  They've done a great job of resurrecting the contest (I prefer
to stress the "party" image).

But I would like to suggest that the GQP committee give some thought to
less checking and more "party" spirit.  In my experience, I've never
found a submitted log that contained anything wrong except for simple
mistakes.  And these never altered the results when corrected or deleted.

I'd like to see state QSO party sponsors encourage acceptance of summary
sheets only.  I was told years ago that the Potomac Valley Radio Club
quit asking for detail logs.  I concede the ARRL, CQ, and other
world-wide contests MAY warrant extensive log checking for integrity
purposes - but an isolated state QSO party just doesn't seem to require
it.

I'm not sure why Neal referred to his professional programming experience
in this context; the fact is, most people involved in contests are not
programmers and couldn't care less about a Cabrillo format or what a
programmer thinks about it.  I think log checkers should be willing to
accept a log in any format (as long as the paper isn't being
recycled...); without logs it really isn't a contest!

So I'll see you next year in GQP, and I'll even send in a log in any
format required.  But think summary sheet! you'll have more time to work
on your antenna or mobile setup!

73, Norm, W3DYA

PS:  Although it's of no significance in this discussion, I was a
programmer/manager for over 27 years before I retired a few years ago.
Good users were more important than programmers then, and I don't think
that's changed!

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/seccfaq.html
Search:                   http://www.contesting.com