[SECC] [Fwd: [CQ-Contest] ARRL DX Scoring error]

John T. Laney, III K4BAI@worldnet.att.net
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 18:16:12 -0700

Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 17:43:19 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Henderson, Dan N1ND" <dhenderson@arrl.org>
To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] ARRL DX Scoring error
Sender: owner-cq-contest@contesting.com

Good afternoon all.

We have discovered there is a problem with the counting of multipliers in
the software used to check logs for the ARRL International DX CW contest.

For Foreign Logs:
After checking into the software, we have discovered that the multiplier
algorithm was inaccurate.   For the Canadian multipliers, all provinces
included in the ARRL Section multiplier Maritime (New Brunswick, Nova Scotia
and Prince Edward Island) were counted as a single multiplier.  Newfoundland
and Labrador were counted as one instead of two. The territories in the
Northwest Territories multiplier (NWT, Yukon and Nunavut) were counted as a
single multiplier instead of three.  The District of Columbia was included
as the MDC section instead of separately.

Since this is the first time this software was utilized, the problem was not
apparent until brought to our attention by N6NT (ZF2NT) on the contest
reflector.  The author of the software has corrected the algorithm.  This
problem will not affect the results of the Phone portion of the ARRL
International DX Contest.

For Domestic Logs:
The scoring algorithm has not counted the final multiplier on each different
band, resulting in every checked log being docked one multiplier per band.
The software is being changed to correct this problem, which caused all
stations to be docked one multiplier per band reported.

Once the recalculated results are available, the results article from QST
will be re-posted in Adobe pdf format on the ARRL Web.  The recalculated
scores will be used to determine all awards and any new records established
by any participants.  Any change in overall category winners will also be
listed in QST.

On behalf of the volunteers in the log checking process and the ARRL Contest
Branch, I apologize for this error.  If you have any questions regarding
your results once the recalculated results are posted, please contact me at
N1ND@arrl.org or by phone at (860) 594-0232.  Thanks for your participation
and understanding.

73,

Dan Henderson, N1ND