[SECC] Comments requested.

thompson@mindspring.com thompson@mindspring.com
Fri, 9 Jun 2000 16:11:53 -0400

I need some comments from club members and those who are subscribed to the
SECC
reflector on the CQ 160 Contests.

1.     Looks like the Cabrillo format will dominate the logs next year
(almost 40% were this year) and I am looking
        at conversion programs for the old format (mainly NA and CT).   I
also need software to check Cabrillo logs.
        Any ideas?

2.    There is controversy on two topics this year (again).   The first is
what is the cutoff for uniques (unverified Q's)?
        Don and I defined this as 7% in 1990 before considering DQ.    We
did not want to crimp those who spend the
        time, effort, and $$$ to build a great station but if you knew some
of the logs you would know that there are few that push the
envelope.   Unlike say 10 meters anyone who gets on 160 to work a club
member usually gets carried away and works
        several more stations.   Thus uniques even in ON4UN's or WB9Z logs
are less than 2%.

        The second is a growing practice (GW3YDX says he has this on tape)
to have someone hold a freq while they work mults across
        the bands.   What he found was pre-arranged holding of a freq not
just giving up a freq like has happened to me in the past. (and          to
almost everyone at one time or another).  GW3YDX recommends DQ or at least
reclassifying the stations to M/O.

        What do you think?   Agree, disagree, or have another view!

3.    We have been looking at several exchange possibilities for DX.   The
two that have been recommended include power (like the ARRL DX) or Grid
square.    K1MEM and K2EEK liked age (as in the JA contest with 00 (zero
zero) being the default.   Ideas?    To have a consistent check this is a
requirement for DX logs as all reports are 599/59 (except for KH6CC and
K8MR..hi).

Thanks for your time and have a great summer!

73 Dave K4JRB

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/seccfaq.html
Search:                   http://www.contesting.com