[SECC] W4AN UBN report 1999 SS CW

John T. Laney, III k4bai@worldnet.att.net
Mon, 08 May 2000 23:23:06 -0400

Here for everyone's info is the UBN report for W4AN.

Two busted calls.  Can't imagine how I logged Doug, W9WI and W9UI, but I
did.  Also logged K7WP and K7VP.  Penalties, of course.

Four exchange errors.  Copied one precedence and three checks wrong
(including N6TR at W5WMU).  copied 97 as 87, 67 as 66, and 67 as 57.
This is much improved over last year when I had a lot of precedence
errors.  I believed they were caused by the A precedence being in NA as
a default.  This year, K8CC changed the program in version 9.44 and
there is no default.

Cross check results showed 5 bad cross checks.  copied two QSO numbers
wrong.  I don't know what the other three mean.  Just say they were
"judged to be incorrect."  Maybe that means that more than one element
was wrong?

Error rate is said to be 0.8%.

Copying errors in the other guy's logs were 4% (54 QSOs) out of 1361.

Errors:  15 numbers
Calls:  2
Prec:  16
check:  17
mult:  5

Only one station (K9OSH) mislogged more than one element.  Most of the
precedence errors were A instead of B, which is again the default
problem I'd guess.  The program fills in A and you don't realize that
you didn't copy whatever the precedence actually sent was, so you don't
ask for a fill.  Somehow, some copied the precedence as U or M and two
even as Q.  Surely W4AN didn't sound like a Q signal.

Checks were all over the map:  45, 58, 64, 67, 87 (instead of 54).  The
mults were usually copied as VA, but one guy got MN and another got NV.
(He must have worked Bill before the contest and knew that he was in
NV?)

The call errors were W3AN and N4AN.

NR errors were usually just one digit off, but one guy left off the 10
in a number like 1025.

Hope that is of help to you guys.  I didn't send NR before number.  I
sent it all at the same speed.  I did slow down for slower guys and sent
a lot with the paddle to put extra space in for the slower guys.  I
don't think the paddle would have been harder to copy than the
computer.  In fact, it would usually have been more readable due to a
little bit more spacing.

73,  John, K4BAI.

P.S.  Congrats to W4AN on being way up high in the NCJ survery article
by NT1N of top US ops in the opinion of the USA WRTC participants who
replied to the survey.  I would have listed Bill m yself,  but failed to
reply to the survey.  Sorry.

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/seccfaq.html
Search:                   http://www.contesting.com