[SECC] K4AB CQWW CW

Larry Crim k4ab@email.msn.com
Sun, 26 Nov 2000 19:33:23 -0600

Some incredible scores on the "real" 3830.  Heard some of the boys say that
this was the best conditions ever.  Not from my point of view.  As a matter
of fact, no where near last year's CW.

The noise was S9+ on 160 and 80 Friday night.  And Saturday night it was
very difficult to work the Euros, even though they were loud.   It was kinda
like one-way skip...I know that's impossible, but W4AN and I talked about
the same thing happening on 80 a few years ago.  Maybe there was local QRN
in Europe.  Would like to know if W4PA experienced the same thing.

The big bad prop prediction I saw was a bunch of hooey. The highest the A
index got, I think was 16, and that was late Sunday after the "storm" hit.
Now that was interesting....I was running Europe on 10, and S&P'ing with the
2nd radio on 15, when I heard  what I  thought was line noise...on both
bands.  Then at exactly 1645Z, the noise went away, and so did Europe.  The
only signals I could hear on ANY band was stateside.  Then about in 10
minutes or so, the Euros slowly came back and I was able to run again around
1700Z.  Weird, but not a big thing.

K4AB CQWW CW

12     8     7
44     12   31
266   14   53
602    27  79
471    31  85
808    32  85
2203   124   340   = 2.95M

Not a good effort from me, but it was fun and very interesting...and nothing
broke.

BTW, if anyone is looking to buy a top of the line amp, I would recommend
the ACOM 2000A.  Ive had it for a year now of non-stop CQing contesting, and
it doesn't even whimper.  It doesn't even get hot.

73,
Larry K4AB