[SECC] CQWW SSB

Jay Pryor jpryor@arches.uga.edu
Fri, 06 Oct 2000 07:47:32 +0100

Greg and others, <br>
I don't have a lot of experience with the CQWW SSB.&nbsp; The kickoff of
the contest season for me is the CWSS, which is only one week
later.&nbsp; I wish I knew enough to tell people how to maximize contest
scores, but I don't. On the other hand, I've made some dumb mistakes,
particularly in the CWSS, that in the past have without question hurt my
score, so I thought I'd pass a few of them along for those who might be
interested.&nbsp; They have general application to all contests.&nbsp;
1. Don't wait until Sweepstakes Saturday morning to make your final
preparations. This is so obvious but so true for SS and any contest. I
can't tell you how many times I've been messing with antennas, or with
the computer, or with switches, etc., right up to the starting bell.
Pretend SS -- or CQWW -- starts a week early and have everything set up
and in operation a week ahead. Then you'll be ready at the starting bell.
2. One year I decided to &quot;reward&quot; myself on Sunday afternoon by
eating the left-over Halloween chocolate. Bad idea!! I guess I got on a
sugar high to the point that when the evening came around, I was at the
other end of the spectrum. I wasn't looking for mults, I was looking for
the contest to end. I felt lousy! Be careful about what you eat. In fact,
eat as little as possible -- and nothing unusual. <br>
3. Especially in the CWSS, you can keep your code speed up in the contest
early hours when you're working all the &quot;regulars,&quot; but knock
it down a few notches on Sunday when you are looking for the &quot;casual
QSO&quot; stations who will make the difference in your score. <br>
4. Don't get discouraged when band conditions are in the tank and you are
plodding along. Conditions may very well be lousy all over -- or they
could actually be better where you are than where your competitor is.
FWIW,<br>
- Jay/K4OGG<br>
At 04:41 AM 10/6/2000, greg richard wrote:<br>
season..</font><br>
&nbsp;<br>
to get the suggestions going about what </font><br>
then.</font><br>
&nbsp;<br>
&nbsp;<br>
BEFORE I log the first contact during the contest.</font><br>
&nbsp;<br>
(California Qso Party this weekend is a good time to do this and still
have time to work out any problems)</font><br>
&nbsp;<br>
&nbsp;<br>
air checking out the bands.</font><br>
&nbsp;<br>