[SECC] Re: (*&%#computers

Gary Breed gary@noblepub.com
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 10:03:30 -0500

This computer thing has gotten easy!  I obtained a 266 MHz PII-MMX
machine with 128 MB RAM that was simply abandonded by a company that
needed more powerful machines. After wiping the 6.4 GB hard drive
clean and reloading Windows(R), I realized that the video board drivers
were now missing, but about $60 got a new video card and a sound card.
Bought a new $175 17 inch monitor and my hamshack is Dee-Luxe!

Over the years, IT Managers have given me lots of great stuff, either
obsoleted or dinged up and not deemed usable by the company.  It pays to
know the right people!  If stuff is less than five years old, depreciation
rules make it easier to "loan" equipment to employees rather than junk it.

73, Gary
K9AY

PS -- Ditto earlier comments on "bundled" systems -- I can't tell you
how much of a pain it was to replace a modem on my E-Machines 'puter
with a model different than its original equipment!