[SECC] Wait til next time...

Michael Condon mcondon@attglobal.net
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 19:42:01 -0500

After seeing all the other improvement plans,  (excuses), I think I have
boiled my plan down.

First, work what I could hear...
I heard many of the ones I missed.   But I could not get through, even when
calling alone.
So, improve the TX antenna, the only one, by adding the flat top and making
it an inverted L.
More wire high, less coil on the ground.
Add more wire as radial/counterpoise. The town lot will take some of this
without revealing my secret.
If I can get the ones heard to answer that will be worth about 10 US mults.
This probably will pick up some of the Carib/SA that were also heard and not
worked on calling.
This will further probably net some more Q's too on general better signal
launch.
Probably better 80M operation too.

Hear some more...
The above change may contribute to better RX.
Also, investigate some modest or shortened forms of RX antennae such as an
EWE, flag or even shortened beverage.
Bet direction bet is to w6/w7 where a population exists.  Next would be
Carib/SA, for some multipliers.
I hear a few SA/Carib now, and my best second bet might be the trans
equatorial path.
TE is usually easier than to Europe from here anyway.
Not a single European makes a squeak here, so it does not make much sense to
build up for that direction when the opportunities to add stuff are limited.

Inside the house...
Not much to fix here.  Noises are really few for this location.
The computer is not noisy on 160.
FT1000mp is loaded with filters and I have an afterburner audio dsp.
High power is not an option, as that would blow my cover.

Inside my head...
My skills are improving some.  My CW is OK, but not great.  I still program
a "?" in the keyer.
I find I stumble sometimes on 2x1 calls, but I also find many of the best
ops stumble on my 2x1.
NE4S might be too short on CW, the E gets missed.
More activity will help small hesitations on CW.
I find I am comfortable at about 28 WPM, but some folks sling a lot faster.
Planning a full schedule of prime time is critical.  Random unavoidable
social events can hurt.
Attitude is important; someone just said "if you think you are loud, you
are."   Call CQ a lot.

The slingshot and some copper weld wire will fix the main item.
Any references to current reading or construction of limited size low band
RX antennae would be appreciated.

I hope this note might encourage other limited or restricted location
members to give it a go on the lower bands.

And, yes this extended blab is my idea of "boil down".  Hi.

Mike, NE4S