[SECC] ARRL 160 2002

AB4RU@aol.com AB4RU@aol.com
Sat, 15 Dec 2001 07:44:51 EST

--part1_53.10181e35.294c9fc3_boundary

In a message dated 12/10/01 3:39:07 PM Eastern Standard Time,
w4an@contesting.com writes:

> I think you did a great job of organizing the troops Gary.  Clearly there
> were guys making QSOs that wouldn not have otherwise.

I totally agree, we need to start planning for next year now. My work
schedule, along with other things, prevented me from operating at a local
station to increase the score. This is one contest the SECC can do well and
we should pick at least one for an all-out effort each contest season.

After reading all the comments, it looks that receiving antennas would be the
most "bank for the buck" for many operators. The guys with small city lots
should look into the K9AY loops as a possible improvement. Any receiving
antenna is better than using the xmit antenna, unless your xmit antenna in
not very good. I am sure Gary, K9AY will be glad to help anyone with matching
xformers, tenna construction etc. He is preparing a web page that will
contain the mentioned data, so contact him for details and start getting
ready.

After spending a decade of serious contesting on 160, you learn a few tricks
to help the score. Bill mentioned a few in his e-mail, concerning picking a
good location in the band. To CQ in the portion of the band that produces the
most DX, you have to keep the cq button going with only a couple of seconds
of receive time and plan to fight off any intruders. I cannot say I remember
getting any click reports from the FT1000. Usually operating MO, we used two
receivers, sharing the beverages. This allowed the second receiver to be used
to find DX and make sure it was copied before spending time off the CQ
frequency. The second receiver was also used to find improved CQ frequencies
and see who is above and below you. I tried to find Jerry, WB9Z (or someone
that is loud in 8 or 9 land) and operate close to them as possible. his
helped to prevent a NE station from being next to me. The worse thing you can
do is operate in close proximity to WW2Y and K1ZM.

Ron W4WA

--part1_53.10181e35.294c9fc3_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=3>In a message dated 12/10/01 3:39:07 PM Eastern Standard Time, w4an@contesting.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">I think you did a great job of organizing the troops Gary.&nbsp; Clearly there<BR>
were guys making QSOs that wouldn not have otherwise.&nbsp; <BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
I totally agree, we need to start planning for next year now. My work schedule, along with other things, prevented me from operating at a local station to increase the score. This is one contest the SECC can do well and we should pick at least one for an all-out effort each contest season. <BR>
<BR>
After reading all the comments, it looks that receiving antennas would be the most "bank for the buck" for many operators. The guys with small city lots should look into the K9AY loops as a possible improvement. Any receiving antenna is better than using the xmit antenna, unless your xmit antenna in not very good. I am sure Gary, K9AY will be glad to help anyone with matching xformers, tenna construction etc. He is preparing a web page that will contain the mentioned data, so contact him for details and start getting ready.<BR>
<BR>
After spending a decade of serious contesting on 160, you learn a few tricks to help the score. Bill mentioned a few in his e-mail, concerning picking a good location in the band. To CQ in the portion of the band that produces the most DX, you have to keep the cq button going with only a couple of seconds of receive time and plan to fight off any intruders. I cannot say I remember getting any click reports from the FT1000. Usually operating MO, we used two receivers, sharing the beverages. This allowed the second receiver to be used to find DX and make sure it was copied before spending time off the CQ frequency. The second receiver was also used to find improved CQ frequencies and see who is above and below you. I tried to find Jerry, WB9Z (or someone that is loud in 8 or 9 land) and operate close to them as possible. his helped to prevent a NE station from being next to me. The worse thing you can do is operate in close proximity to WW2Y and K1ZM. <BR>
<BR>
Ron W4WA<BR>
<BR>
<BR>