[SECC] Yeasu FT-1000MP

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 08:48:02 -0500

Hi Gordon (and other SECC),

The first mod you should consider is getting rid of the keyclicks all
FT1000 series rigs have, unless you want to park next to a YCCC
member in contests (just joking here, hi hi).

The ultimate "click" bandwidth of a MP on CW is almost the same
as the SSB filter width, very poor engineering and inconsiderate to
others to operate that way on crowded bands!

As to Rick's comments on the 70MHz IF. Anyone familiar with
receiver design would really wonder about adding gain in the IF in
front of narrow filters. While there may be cases where it improves
S/N ratio, it has to do so at expense of both blocking and IM
performance **INSIDE** the bandwidth of the roofing filter (that's the
70MHz IF filter). The only exception to this is if the IF is so noisy
you CAN'T hear a noticeable change in noise when switching from
full RF gain (preamp on) to no RF gain (attenuator full) when the
antenna is connected.

Measurements on FT1000MP's and D's confirm close-spaced IM
DR and blocking DR are reduced (by about the amount of the
amplifier gain) by adding 70 MHz IF gain, although the annoyance
factor of the "hiss" on CW certainly is reduced with the mod.

My own experience with the FT1000(D) is that IF noise is an
mostly an annoyance and most problematic when using the narrow
CW filters on quiet bands.

There are very clear reasons WHY my FT1000 has the hissing, but
I won't go into why.

Overall, I'd pass on the 70 Mhz IF amp mod for contest use,
although it would be useful if you operate where there are not
multiple signals within 5 or 6 kHz of you. If the hissing bothers you,
use an audio filter!

Watch the noise blanker control setting in the MP. Keep it OFF,
even if you are NOT using the NB. If you turn the NB gain control
up blocking and IM DR decreases about 10dB!!!

As for filters, the preference is up to the end-user. Everyone has
opinions and favorites. I almost always use 250Hz filters for CW
and 2kHz for SSB because S/N ratio improves in direct proportion
to filter narrowness.

Switching from 500Hz bandwidth to 250Hz improves S/N 3dB when
the signal is limited by smooth noise.

Filter ringing is often related to group delay errors in the filter
passband. As a *general rule* more poles and sharper skirts come
with more ringing, which can especially hurt copy of weak stations
in the presence of clicks or rough noise. The exception is when the
filter designer pays close attention to group delay performance
(which I'm pretty sure no one ever does).

By the way most narrow crystal filters I have seen generally have a
much better shape factor and ultimate attenuation than Collins
mechanical filters, although the mechanical filters often have less
ringing for the same bandwidth. When digging weak signals a
mechanical filter tends to be better. When trying to separate a 20
over nine signal a few hundred Hz away a crystal filter is generally
better.

The PIN diode mods going around are a bunch of bologna. Save
your money or buy a pyramid and place it over the radio. It will do
the same thing.

I don't believe "overload improvement mods" made by modifying
AGC are very meaningful either.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com