FW: [SECC] FT-817...

Mike Condon mcondon@ibm.net
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 11:58:37 -0800

RePosting to SECC...
Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Condon [mailto:mcondon@ibm.net]
Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2001 11:49 AM
To: Jay Pryor
Subject: RE: [SECC] FT-817...

Jay, and all,
The FT-817 is a really great radio.
It is as appealing as the puppy you could not resist, and performs in
excellent fashion.
There are several eGroups to go to for extended comparisons, try
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FT817
for the most extensive.
Coverage from 160 to 440MHz, all modes, up to 5W out.  General coverage RX
from DC to 470MHz
No tuner, several "micro-tuners" available aftermarket, or just resonate
that antenna (better).
About the smallest package size of the popular QRP rigs, and, has room in
the case for 8 AA batteries.
It is about the size of an external Zip drive, but shorter by 1 1/2 inches,
just bit heavier.
If you use the NiMH 1600 mAh size AA's, you will get up to 4 hours of low
cycle operation.  It is not the best rig for idle current drain, but still
pretty darn good for a multi-featured radio.
RX is as good as any dual conversion radio I have used.  I was copying YK9A
on 20M CW last nite... no qso tho.  There is only room for one filter, and
it should be a good CW 300-500 one. Yaesu sells a 500, I am waiting for a
300 from INRAD.  I use a MFJ DSP in the meantime.
All my efforts are with a G5RV clandestine antenna, a beam would produce
super results.  An array of beams like some of you run would be a
spectacular fun event.

"ON THE AIR"...
You saw my post about the Sprint as a QRP, 99 Q's 30 states.  "Running with
the bulls" is the way it is characterized.  You smack a bull on the nose
when you call a station and get answered before a full power caller... hi.
(You get run over a lot too.)

DX last nite was.... SSB: A35, OH3, XQ5, FO, EX, EY.  CW was a QRP to QRP
with 5W1VE.  Overall, about 40 countries have been worked so far, and I am
keeping a separate log for QRP DXCC.
One day a couple weeks ago, I started in the morning on 10M and worked all
bands down to 80M by midnight, working a DX station on each band and both
modes, SSB and CW.  8 Bands, 15 contacts (no SSB on 30M) same antenna for
all bands.

I have seen complaints about the controls being too small.... DUH, it is a
small radio.
It has a keyer built in, a nice menu system on the LCD, you can choose blue
or orange for the backlight, QRPers would never waste power on a backlight
tho.
What else, IF shift, RIT, Dual Band stacking VFOs, 200 memories, front BNC,
and rear PL259 selectable by major band... Just like a decent tranceiver
compressed by MP3.

I found a $9 zip drive carry case which is perfect for walk about, and with
the invention of some portable antennae, my walking program is fun.

Is the FT817 the "best" QRP rig... NO, that would be my FT-1000MP turned
down to 5W...
But, as the QRPers are saying, if you do a collective value summation of the
features, and performance, it probably is the best QRP walk about radio that
has come along.

I am going to put it on PSK and RTTY next to see what it can do... reports
are good on the fora...

Pop in to HRO and fiddle, you may have one following you home.

73,
Mike, NE4S