[SECC] K4OGG, ARRL-DX, SOAB, LP

Jay Pryor jpryor@arches.uga.edu
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 08:59:59 -0500

--=====================_4234088==_.ALT

Hi folks,

This was the first time I've started a contest under a tornado warning --
not a watch, but a warning. As a result I was AWOL at the starting
gun.  Actually, we didn't have lightening at that time, just high
winds.  So I was only delayed by 15 minutes.  The lightening came later, at
02:28, when I had to go QRT.  I was off the air for an hour then the storm
had passed and no more problems through the weekend.  Except one.  I'm
never loud on 160, but in the past have done fairly well on that band
relative to other LP stations.  This time was different.  Every time I
called a station, if anyone, anywhere else called them I didn't have a
chance.  It wasn't until Saturday afternoon when I went outside that I
discovered that the high wind had parted my support line for the horizontal
portion of my inverted L.  So I was using a doubled-over vertical.  But I
managed 14 QSOs with 13 countries on 160.  Amazing, but this definitely
hurt my score because I missed several EU mults that I wasted time calling.
Conditions were excellent on 160 on Friday night, which was a surprise
because of the storm that passed through.

As is typical, most of the contest was spent S&P, with my runs coming
during "prime time" morning hours on the high bands.  You better make LP
rate then, or your goose is cooked.  My best hour both days were at 1200Z;
102 on Saturday and 88 on Sunday.  We also had the EU sunup opening to the
SE, with good hours at 0900 and 1000Z on Saturday and another good hour at
1000Z on Sunday.

This was my "coming out party" for two radio operation.  I had 22 second
radio QSOs, but more importantly, 13 were new mults!  I'm sold.  Not only
does it help your score, it helped keep me awake when the automatic CQ is
doing it's thing.  I learned though, that I need to do something about my
antennas for 2R operation.  I spent too much time in the back of the two
rigs, switching antennas around when changing bands.  Also, I need to
upgrade from my FT-900, which I am currently using for the second
radio.  It's a great mobile rig, but before next season I'll be looking for
a FT-990/TS-850 or something in that range. If anyone has recommendations
for a second radio I would like to hear from you -- although I'm not yet
ready to buy.

This contest was also a new record for me for staying in the chair.  My
only off time was a three hour sleep on Saturday night.  I need to work on
my concentration under sleep depravation and I think this would be a good
topic for the contest forum at Dayton.  I am totally embarrassed by the
number of times Sunday on afternoon that I had to send "?" or "AGN" to
stations that called.

I am disappointed that I didn't make my goal of 2,000 QSOs but that's part
of what makes this fun.  I'll make some changes and next year give it
another shot.

It is always fun, following a big contest, to watch for the write ups and
scores.  This time we had to wait a while because W4AN had some trouble
with his server.  This simply served to underscore how valuable this
service is that SECC member and founder W4AN provides to the contesting
community -- without compensation and frequently without thanks.  Bill,
thanks!!!

Here's the score:

    BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Countries

   160CW       15          15         45        14
    80CW       80          80        240        39
    40CW      208         208        624        58
    20CW      562         552       1656        69
    15CW      558         550       1650        67
    10CW      514         512       1536        70

  Totals     1937        1917       5751       317

     Final Score = 1823067 points.

FT-1000MP, FT-900
160M - doubled-over, used-to-be inverted "L"
80M - CF plain vanilla dipole
40M - CF plain vanilla dipoles (2)  - I need to do something here
20M - 3L
15M - 3L
10M - 4L
Various - Rooftop A3S  (this continues to be a surprising good antenna)
TRLog

73,

- Jay, K4OGG

--=====================_4234088==_.ALT

Hi folks,<br>
This was the first time I've started a contest under a tornado warning --
not a watch, but a warning. As a result I was AWOL at the starting
gun.&nbsp; Actually, we didn't have lightening at that time, just high
winds.&nbsp; So I was only delayed by 15 minutes.&nbsp; The lightening
came later, at 02:28, when I had to go QRT.&nbsp; I was off the air for
an hour then the storm had passed and no more problems through the
weekend.&nbsp; Except one.&nbsp; I'm never loud on 160, but in the past
have done fairly well on that band relative to other LP stations.&nbsp;
This time was different.&nbsp; Every time I called a station, if anyone,
anywhere else called them I didn't have a chance.&nbsp; It wasn't until
Saturday afternoon when I went outside that I discovered that the high
wind had parted my support line for the horizontal portion of my inverted
L.&nbsp; So I was using a doubled-over vertical.&nbsp; But I managed 14
QSOs with 13 countries on 160.&nbsp; Amazing, but this definitely hurt my
score because I missed several EU mults that I wasted time calling.
Conditions were excellent on 160 on Friday night, which was a surprise
because of the storm that passed through. <br>
As is typical, most of the contest was spent S&amp;P, with my runs coming
during &quot;prime time&quot; morning hours on the high bands.&nbsp; You
better make LP rate then, or your goose is cooked.&nbsp; My best hour
both days were at 1200Z; 102 on Saturday and 88 on Sunday.&nbsp; We also
had the EU sunup opening to the SE, with good hours at 0900 and 1000Z on
Saturday and another good hour at 1000Z on Sunday.&nbsp; <br>
This was my &quot;coming out party&quot; for two radio operation.&nbsp; I
had 22 second radio QSOs, but more importantly, 13 were new mults!&nbsp;
I'm sold.&nbsp; Not only does it help your score, it helped keep me awake
when the automatic CQ is doing it's thing.&nbsp; I learned though, that I
need to do something about my antennas for 2R operation.&nbsp; I spent
too much time in the back of the two rigs, switching antennas around when
changing bands.&nbsp; Also, I need to upgrade from my FT-900, which I am
currently using for the second radio.&nbsp; It's a great mobile rig, but
before next season I'll be looking for a FT-990/TS-850 or something in
that range. If anyone has recommendations for a second radio I would like
to hear from you -- although I'm not yet ready to buy.&nbsp; <br>
This contest was also a new record for me for staying in the chair.&nbsp;
My only off time was a three hour sleep on Saturday night.&nbsp; I need
to work on my concentration under sleep depravation and I think this
would be a good topic for the contest forum at Dayton.&nbsp; I am totally
embarrassed by the number of times Sunday on afternoon that I had to send
&quot;?&quot; or &quot;AGN&quot; to stations that called.&nbsp; <br>
I am disappointed that I didn't make my goal of 2,000 QSOs but that's
part of what makes this fun.&nbsp; I'll make some changes and next year
give it another shot.<br>
It is always fun, following a big contest, to watch for the write ups and
scores.&nbsp; This time we had to wait a while because W4AN had some
trouble with his server.&nbsp; This simply served to underscore how
valuable this service is that SECC member and founder W4AN provides to
the contesting community -- without compensation and frequently without
thanks.&nbsp; Bill, thanks!!!<br>
Here's the score:<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; BAND&nbsp;&nbsp; Raw QSOs&nbsp;&nbsp; Valid QSOs&nbsp;&nbsp;
Points&nbsp;&nbsp; Countries&nbsp;&nbsp; <br>
&nbsp;______________________________________________________<br>
&nbsp; 160CW&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
15&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
15&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
45&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 14 <br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; 80CW&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
80&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
80&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
240&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 39 <br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; 40CW&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
208&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
208&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
624&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 58 <br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; 20CW&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
562&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
552&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
1656&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 69 <br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; 15CW&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
558&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
550&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
1650&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 67 <br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; 10CW&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
514&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
512&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
1536&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 70 <br>
&nbsp;______________________________________________________<br>
&nbsp;Totals&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
1937&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
1917&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
5751&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 317 <br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Final Score =3D 1823067 points.<br>
FT-1000MP, FT-900<br>
160M - doubled-over, used-to-be inverted &quot;L&quot;<br>
80M - CF plain vanilla dipole<br>
40M - CF plain vanilla dipoles (2)&nbsp; - I need to do something
here<br>
20M - 3L<br>
15M - 3L<br>
10M - 4L<br>
Various - Rooftop A3S&nbsp; (this continues to be a surprising good
antenna)<br>
TRLog<br>
73,<br>
- Jay, K4OGG<br>