[SECC] NAQP SSB AA4LR SO

Bill Coleman aa4lr@arrl.net
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 10:04:46 -0500

                     North America QSO Party - SSB

Call: AA4LR
Operator(s): AA4LR
Station: AA4LR

Class: SO LP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 10

  160:      0      0
   80:    172     37
   40:    152     44
   20:    104     38
   15:     68     28
   10:     44     22
----------------------
Total:    540    169  =  91,260

Club/Team: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Team: South East Contest Club #2

Equipment:
Venerable TS-430S running 90 watts or less
80m doublet at 25 feet
R7000 at 8 feet
15/10m delta loop in attic

Comments:

Sorry for so much confusion about the name. I know a lot of folks
expected
"Bill", but with the inaugeration, I figured "Bill" was out and "George"
was
in. Besides, "George in Georgia" had a nice ring to it. The real irony is
that
"George W." is my real name!

My best result in any NAQP, ever. At the start, my goals were simple: 400
Qs,
120 mults, maybe 50,000 points. I blew past that easy.

Got started about 25 minutes late, due to household obligations. Things
were
slow at first. When you are antenna-challenged, starts are usually
difficult
when everyone is calling. I found the rates better down in the lower
bands,
since it was less crowded.

Found VE1VIA low on 10m. Turns out he had just learned about the contest
and
was handing out the much needed multiplier. Heard VY1JA calling a couple
of
folks at different times. He was 59 here, but the stations he was calling
couldn't hear him. I hope you didn't get too frustrated, Jay.

Much of my start was S & P, but things picked up when I started a run on
40m
just after 0000z. Got another big run on 80m at 0100z, and a good run on
40m
around 0220z. Best hour was 0400z, with 86 Qs on both 40m and 80m.

Several stations asked me to move to 160m, but you can see I have no 160m
antenna here. I tried loading the R7000, but after 10 minutes of calling
only
the strongest stations, I went away with nothing. Gee, why does it work
on CW?

Worked most of the Chads in FL, the TCG guys, and lots of SECCers. Great
hear all the local contest groups turn out for this contest.

I'd like to thank my wife for allowing me to put in a full 10 hour
effort. With
two small kids, that's harder than you think.

http://www.hornucopia.com/3830score/

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901